You are viewing the site in preview mode

Skip to main content

Advertisement

Study of treatment outcome of patients of tuberculous cervical lymphedenopathy

Background

Tuberculosis lymphadenopathy is the most common form of extrapulmonary tuberculosis. The aim of the present study is to detect the duration of treatment required in patients with cervical lymphadenopathy.

Methods

The patients attending the Department of Pulmonary Medicine OPD with cervical lymphadenopathy were screened. Detailed history, clinical examination, USG neck, FNAC, Mantoux test, biopsy, and chest X ray frontal view were performed and anti tuberculosis treatment initiated.

Results

Total patients examined: 117, in the age group 10-70 years (mean age 40). Females affected – 89 (76.07%), Males - 28 (23.93%). Most common age group affected (M/F): 15-20 years: 37 (31.63%) patients. Biopsy was done in 73 patients (62.39%). Patients received Category-1ATT under RNTCP. After 6 months of therapy, 22 patients (18.81%) stopped treatment in view of non-palpable mass. Out of remaining 95 patients (81.19%), 14 patients’ (11.96%) lymph node size increased with slow regression, 17 patients’ (14.52%) liquefaction and repeated aspiration was done, 57 patients’ (48.72%) lymph node size showed regression less than 50%, 7 patients (5.98%) came up with new group of lymph nodes with size gradually increased. For all 95 patients, therapy was extended (continuation phase) for 2-3 months. 7 patients received ATT for 12 months.

Conclusion

Extrapulmonary tuberculosis like tuberculous lymphadenopathy is benefited with extension of anti tuberculosis treatment.

Author information

Correspondence to Nisha Mathew.

Rights and permissions

This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark

Keywords

  • Tuberculosis
  • Frontal View
  • Total Patient
  • Detailed History
  • Cervical Lymphadenopathy